Community Metaphor Poster Design Competition
Community Metaphor is a community based art project and model for engaging community members in reflection about improving our communities. Entries in each category and contest information are below.
High School Entries
Community Metaphor is a community based art project and model for engaging community members in reflection about improving our communities.
The project starts with a poster design competition. Participants will create posters that ask metaphorical questions about their community. For example: “What kind of car is Brocton? What kind of car would you like it to be?” Addressing broad topics like “how do we improve our community” is much easier to tackle when the question is posed as a metaphor. The point of the project is to raise questions. A community member doesn’t have to create a poster to think about how to improve his or her community.
The first implementation of this project is in Chautauqua County, New York. If you would like to implement a project in your community – please contact me and I will gladly help you facilitate it. pedro at pedrotucker.com
- Anyone can submit and entry. There are three categories: High School, College, and Community.
- Deadline for entries is April 30, 2013. All entries must be postmarked by April 30.
- Each poster must include a version of these two questions – “What kind of [create a metaphor] is [insert community name or Chautauqua County]?” “What kind of [same metaphor] would you like it to be?” For example: What kind of car is Brocton? What kind of car would you like it to be. Community names must be within Chautauqua County, NY.
- Each poster must include this web address: www.pedrotucker.com/metaphor (it can be small)
- Each poster must include this text (it can be small, but must be readable): “This community based art project funded in part by the New York State Council on the Arts and administered by the Cattaraugus County Arts Council.”
- Posters can include other text, and elements. All images used should be copyright free.
- Entries need to complete the online submission form.
- Entries must be 24″ x 36″ (any orientation) with a resolution of at least 300 dpi. (Entries do not need to be digitally created, but they must be submitted in digital format.)
- Entries may be submitted in .tif, .jpg, or .pdf file formats.
- Entries can be submitted digitally using DropBox, or other on-line file sharing site and shared with pedro at pedrotucker.com, emailed or should be mailed to:
217 Rockefeller Arts Center
Fredonia, NY 14063
- Judges will determine a first place winner in each category. First place winners receive $100.
- Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions: Peter Tucker, pedro at pedrotucker.com
- Posters will be exhibited in venues throughout Chautauqua County. If you would like to host an exhibition, please contact me: Peter Tucker, pedro at pedrotucker.com. Exhibition dates and locations will be posted on this site as they are confirmed.
- I attended a workshop with Daniel Bystrӧm. Daniel works with communities that want to create a new image for themselves. In the workshop, he described how he engages the community in conversations. Daniel asks community members to think about their community in terms of metaphor. This project is a direct response to Daniel’s workshop.